ONE - All Washington State Police Officers should wear body cameras at all times.
Body cameras will tell the true story. Citizens have the right to know.
TWO - We have hired bullies. We need to swiftly remove Police Officer bullies
Some individual Police Officers have taken liberty to use their badge and gun improperly and will continue to do so if we don't remove them from their post. Washington citizens should demand investigations when citizens are charged with Obstruction of Justice. This charge is used to hide police wrong doing.
THREE - The United States Army defines leadership this way: Washington would be well to adopt this as a law enforcement mission:
“Leadership is the process of influencing people by providing purpose, direction, and motivation to accomplish the mission and improving the organization.” An Army leader is anyone who by virtue of assumed role or assigned responsibility inspires and influences people to accomplish organizational goals.
Police Officers need to adopt the above ideal and be taught and learn to use emotional intelligence in their job. When I say emotional intelligence, I mean emotional intelligence described by Daniel Goleman Harvard Business Psychology Professor. Having studied and used hundreds of education modalities, management techniques, and leadership theories, I believe this theory is the key to solving the police behavior issues. I also believe the people would not be crying and screaming in the streets if the police acted right. We know there is a problem.
The six leadership styles by Goleman Emotional Intelligence Primal Leadership are as follows:
1. Visionary: This type of leader believes in the vision and acts as an inspiration for the employees and subordinates.
2. Coaching: This leadership style helps and believes in mentoring.
3. Affiliative: This type of leader is inclined toward creation of harmony and peace among subordinates.
4. Democratic: The leader is more of a team player and give equal chance to all in a democratic leadership style.
5. Pacesetting: This leader is high on taking initiative and achieving personal goals but low in affiliation.
6. Commanding: In this leadership style, the leader believes in giving orders and no chance of equal opportunity and affiliation. Prefers strict control over the company. Goleman, D., Boyatzis, R. E., & McKee, A. (2002). Primal leadership: Realizing the power of emotional intelligence. Boston, Mass: Harvard Business School Press.
Harvard Professor Daniel Goleman has published research that proves this leadership style works 10% of the time. I have personally witnessed Police Officers fouling by using the commanding leadership as if it were perfect for all situations. Do they really not know that they are harming the citizens that they are hired to protect? Police Officers should be taught Emotional Intelligence Primal Leadership Theory so they are intellectually prepared to contribute to society as they are assigned responsibility to provide purpose and direction.